Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Can-Can Baby

I swear this little girl gets bigger every day. Where once she stretched my belly button into a cavernous cave, I am now watching as it slowly but surely encroaches on the outside world (the way my tummy is growing, I feel it must certainly be encroaching on something).

She is currently the size and weight of a box of powdered sugar--measuring about 8 inches from crown to rump and weighing in at about 1 lb. Her weight is supposed to double over the next 4 weeks! And I think its hard to roll over now!

Also, she's getting way stronger and I can feel her move more and more. I LOVE that. There are only a few spots she kicks that hurt, but other than that, I love her little karate chopping, flipping, and wiggling around. It is so fun to feel her. Steve has gotten to feel her a couple more times, too, and that is super fun. He usually lays his cheek against my tummy and lets her kick away.

Back in my kindergarten days, I too was a renowned kicker. There was this one parent program where we did a sort of can-can line, and I apparently had the highest and most deliberate of kicks. I think it's genetic. (Sorry, all I have is this picture from kindergarten graduation... Think I took it a little seriously?)

Where did I learn to kick like that? Possibly, again as I said, genetic. Possibly from my younger days as a tap dancer. I retired from tap at the age of three by telling my mom "I'm ready to retire." But those powerful kicks are buried somewhere... I'm sure I'll find use for them on a kickball team someday...


Meanwhile our little bun is busily growing and wiggling. It's so hard to describe how it feels when she kicks or moves. When she turns over or moves her whole body, it usually just feels like a lot of pressure on just one part of my tummy. Her hiccups feel like an earthquake in my tummy (Santa, I'm feeling that whole "bowl full of jelly" thing). Her kicks are all different feelings--sometimes just like indigestion but in the wrong place (romantic, huh?), sometimes like a bubble breaking the surface of still water, sometimes like a sort of shiver, sometimes like a real live punch from a teeny fist.

Well, all this writing and random posting of childhood photos has made us hungry, so baby and I are going to go have a grilled cheese sandwich. Happy Wednesday!

No comments: