Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Boy or Girl: the Tell-Tale Signs

Christy Beal just commented on the last post... and it blew my mind! Apparently there are a whole bunch of myths about how you can tell whether or not you are having a boy or girl (which means that Christy, though committed to NOT knowing what it is, must be somewhat curious!) I found the following list from another website. Starred are the things that are true of the pregnancy so far. These are according to my observations, but I think Jamie will probably update the list.

Okay... its Jamie... I'm going to add to Steve's list. He put stars by his and bolded them. I will also bold, add a +, and probably make some sort of comment, because I can never resist that. Actually I might comment on a lot of them.

You're more likely to be carrying a boy if...
  • Your baby's heartbeat is lower than 140 beats per minute
  • you're carrying all out front
  • you're carrying low
  • you're blooming in pregnancy (?)
  • you didn't suffer from morning sickness in your first trimester
  • your right breast is bigger than your left
  • you look at yourself in the mirror for at least a minute and your pupils dilate
  • you crave salty food or protein, such as cheese and meat (Just cheese, no other salts... so I don't think this counts)
  • your feet become cold more quickly than before you were pregnant
  • you tie your wedding ring to some thread, hang it over your stomach and it moves in circles
  • your skin becomes dry + (I read this is common to all pregnancy)
  • you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is even
  • your hair has become more full-bodied and shiny during pregnancy
  • the hair on your legs has been growing faster during pregnancy
  • you are more prone to headaches
  • your pillow faces north when you sleep (How can you tell which direction a pillow faces???)
  • you're asked to show your hands and you present them palms down
  • you lie on your left side when sleeping (I lie facing away from the middle usually, because I don't like facing into that little dip in the middle of the mattress. Does that say something about the baby?)
  • your urine is bright yellow + (Pregnancy is all about TMI)
  • you were the more aggressive partner during love-making when you conceived
  • you eat a clove of garlic and the smell seeps out of your pores (Eat a whole clove of garlic?!?! I can't even eat normal food!!! Actually, I'm having a garlic aversion... Maybe we're having a baby vampire?)
  • your previous child's first word was "dada".
You're more likely to be having a girl if...

  • Your baby's heartbeat is faster than 140 beats per minute*
  • you're carrying all round
  • you're carrying high
  • you've missed the "blooming" period altogether + (Since I'm not sure what this is, I'm assuming I haven't experienced it. Unless it has something to do with laying on the couch for 6 weeks, or they're referring to my waist expansion!)
  • you suffered morning sickness during your first twelve weeks*
  • your left breast is bigger than your right
  • you look at yourself in the mirror for at least a minute, but your pupils don't dilate
  • you crave sweet things, such as juice, fruit and sweets*
  • you tie your wedding ring to some thread, hang it over your stomach and it swings from side to side
  • your skin is soft
  • you are more moody than usual + (Angry! Not at Steve, usually at someone at work. Or bad drivers. Haha.)
  • you're asked to show your hands and you present them palms up
  • you were the less aggressive partner during love-making when you conceived
  • you eat a clove of garlic, but you don't smell of it
  • you combine your age at the time of conception with the number of the month you conceived and the resulting number is odd*
  • your hair has become thinner and dull during pregnancy + (I don't think it's thinner, but its definitely less cooperative.)
  • you lie on your right side when sleeping
  • your pillow faces south when you sleep
  • your urine is dull yellow
  • your previous child's first word was "mama".
Original Scoring
Boy Myth Points - 0.
Girl Myth Points - 4.

We shall update the points as we do some more tests (checking hair vibrance, eating garlic, observing pee color, etc)...

After Jamie's Contribution
Boy Myth Points - 2.
Girl Myth Points - 7.

If these weren't myths, I'd say the evidence greatly supports what the polls are saying--girl! Only about a month until we find out, myth-free!

No comments: