We got up early for my 7 a.m. appt at the fetal genetics office--the sonogram was part of a standard test they do to check for genetic defects and Downs Syndrome. We were pretty sleepy when we got to the office, and I guess little baby was sleepy too, because try as she might the doctor could not get that little one to move over! (Usually the baby wiggles like crazy for the sonogram... Steve says it must be a ham like me & love the camera). The doctor had to measure a certain part of baby's neck, but our little bun was muuuch too sleepy and comfy to want to move.
So the doctor poked and prodded my stomach (not fun since part of this test is a requirement that you have a FULL bladder--yeesh) and made me do toe touches. Baby finally moved and the measurement looked good.
However, while we were waiting patiently for baby to wiggle over, we got to spend almost half an hour watching it move and seeing how much it had grown. Remember only 5 weeks ago, how it looked like a little peanut? Well look at this!
Isn't that amazing? We saw it's hands (it looked like it was trying to suck its thumb) and individual fingers. The doctor showed us how it was sitting with its legs crossed, Indian style. (I always sit like this, it must be genetic ;-) ) And I personally think it has a VERY cute nose. I know I'm biased. I think it might get Steve's nose (Steve has a very cute nose, too).
Our doctor today was great. She was super cute and very enthusiastic, and kept saying things like "Oh cute. See baby's hand?" Seriously, how many hands do you think she sees every day? I was pretty excited that she still found ours cute. She even took a picture of it for us, so here is our baby's hand(!!!!):
Then she took a picture of it's face, from the front. I realize it may be hard to find this cute. Steve mentioned that it looks a bit like an alien, which, okay, it does. But we still found it cute & amazing to see its little face!!!
I also like this because we started looking at it afterward and we think we figured out where it's feet are--remember its sitting cross-legged. :-)

Right now it measures 8cm long (about 3 1/4 inches!!!) The doctor also said that it measures at about 14 weeks, 1 day, instead of the 13 weeks 1 day that my OB predicted. So we'll see who's right!
She also measured its heartbeat--153 beats per minute! So fast! Steve and I have just been smiling at our ultrasound pictures all day and thinking about how amazing it is. We think it is beautiful already. :-)
Hi. It's me... Steve. Anyway, I was going to post a picture at the end of this post, but... I couldn't do it. I was going to post a picture of an alien which looks strikingly like our little one right now...
... and, funny enough, when I google-imaged "alien face" to find a picture that looked similar, some results were sonograms from other baby blogs... HA! so alien babies aren't so unusual!
... and seeing the baby's little hand and fingers was, easily, my favorite part. They still call them arm and leg "buds," but they're pretty developed...



4 comments:
LOL. I can't wait to have a little alien roasting in my body... : )
So adorable. How exciting! Too bad they could not tell the sex of the baby yet!
Well, thats a heck of a cool ultrasound pic! our wild baby at that stage wouldnt hold still and the only pic we got was of a foot!!!
Its so amazing how fast they grow. AND you will feel it move in the next few weeks ( i felt mine at 16 or 17 weeks, but probably because he is so fat)
and that fast heartbeat...indicates GIRL! (although heartbeat/gender relationships are a myth, i like to play along)
Shes going to be ADORABLE. And you will know its a girl next month! YAY for ultrasound technology!
She is SOOOO cute in black and white!!!! (or he, its cool, but my vote was girl).
Post a Comment