Sunday, July 27, 2008

It's a Be-be Showa!!! (Martin Short in Father of the Bride 2)

Last Saturday (the 19th) my cute cute sister-in-law Emily threw us a baby shower! She asked if she could throw it the day she found out we were pregnant (so a good 6 months ago!) and I've been looking forward to it ever since--it didn't disappoint! Such a fun time! See for yourself:

Yummy food spread prepped by Em, Jessie (Steve's other sister), and their cousin Becca.

The most delicious cupcakes in the world made by Jessie (she's working in a bakery for the summer--these cupcakes drove all the way down from the Bay Area!). Chocolate cupcakes, raspberry-cream cheese filling, and buttermilk frosting. Mmmm.

Pile of presents from Gracie's admirers. Lucky girl! :)

Em had some great party games planned, like this bottle-drinking race between Becca and Steph. Apparently even though Stephanie is a new mama, Becca's been clocking in some time with a bottle--she won by half!

And the awesome (but less appetizing) game where we had to identify melted chocolate candy in diapers. This was a pretty big hit with the girls & got some great faces. Haha.

Krystle and I going in for the sniff test on the chocolate diapers. (It was kind of intimidating--they were pretty realistic looking!)

A gorgeous diaper cake (a gift from Lani & Tiffany--thanks ladies!)

Opening presents with Krystle as my gift-scribe. (Can you tell that I have very little lap left? I had to sit cross-legged to get the presents to stay in my lap.) Everyone was so generous--we got a ton of adorable baby clothes (which I washed & packed up for our move this weekend) and lots of other baby necessities.

One of the best parts of the party were all my long distance travelers--Jessie drove down from San Fran, Shama (above) came in from LA/Corona, and Allana (not pictured because she was busy being paparazzi) drove in from LA!

Towards the end of the party Krystle snagged Stephanie's baby, Curtis (you may remember him as Gracie's betrothed.) Krystle somehow manages to find babies at any social gathering, including weddings, which is probably why she's so excited to be Gracie's godmother.

The grand finale--belly painting! Em said this is a Brazilian tradition (only apparently in Brazil they paint your whole body... we kept it a little more Mormon with just the belly). I was surprised how cool this was--almost everybody got in on the action!


And then we have to mention how Steve spent his time that morning... He got up early to go out mountain biking with Emily's hubby, Rick, and some other guys. I picked my mom up from the train station & headed over to Emily's a little early, and then I got a phone call from Steve.

He said, "Hi, where are you?" I told him I was at Em's, and didn't notice when he didn't respond to my "Where are you?" Then he said, "I got a little hurt." I thought that was brave of him to tell me, and teased him (after last month's trip to the ER) "Like a little hurt or like you're in the ER hurt." Again, completely teasing.

So when he said, "Well, I'm in the ER," I thought he was messing with me. Nope:


Apparently he went over his handlebars on a sandy spot and cut a nice big gash in his knee. This is what Steve and I refer to as "Boy Fun." It usually involves pain and/or blood. As opposed to the "Girl Fun" you saw above, which usually involves food, shopping, and/or babies. Haha.

Luckily it's healing up quickly. We've only got 6 weeks left until this little bun is due, so I told him no more serious injuries until after that--he needs to be in good shape when we do the whole labor thing! :)

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a fun baby shower! I am so sad that I missed it! Cannot wait to see your little one!

Tiffany said...

Sorry I forgot to predict the length, I am going to say 19 inches.

KC said...

looks like you had fun! I just found your blog and I MISS you!