Sunday, July 13, 2008

Five on Sunday (again)

Even though it seems like these two months (exactly!!!) until Gracie is due will last forever, the weeks seem to be zooming by us. I just can't believe how busy we are (and of course me being tired makes it feel all the busier) but luckily most of it is fun and exciting. So here's a little update. I'm sorry there are no pictures, but we're up with my family for the weekend and I don't have my camera. Please try to imagine pictures if you need them.

On to the five...

1. Birth Classes...
...are surprisingly fun. We actually really enjoy them, and it makes everything seem much more real. It was scary the first night because suddenly we were thinking about labor (and how much it must hurt) a LOT, but the more we go the more prepared and calm I feel. We have been to three classes already, and have three left, just once a week (and we get dinner beforehand to make a date out of it).

So far we've learned lots of relaxation techniques (I like this part because I basically get a backrub or something from Steve without having to ask hehe), the stages of labor (I didn't know there were so many!), and a lot about medication and other birth options. I'm finally starting to get a feel for what it might be like, and what I want out of it. I'm shooting for no epidural, so we'll see how that goes. I think I can do it unless we have complications or a super-long labor.

2. Med School...
Applications are in, and Steve is starting to receive secondary applications already which is nice. It's good to have a head start on it this year. So I am spending time writing sample letters of rec for some of his letter-writers, and even though it is pricey to apply, I'm really just excited about it. I'm glad we aren't moving this year (can you imagine poor Steve starting school RIGHT when our little bun is born?!?) and I feel enthusiastic and peaceful and excited about this round of apps. It's pretty much a year long process between applications, interviews, and admission letters, so we have a while of waiting yet. This seems to be the year of waiting--but in a good way!

3. Big Baby, Big Tummy
So our Miss Gracie has grown grown grown this past month, from about 9 inches long a month ago to about 17 now (or so the book predicts). She also is supposedly gaining weight very quickly now, and as a result I am making really funny noises when I have to exert the effort to roll over or stand up. Steve tries not to laugh (mostly) which is noble of him.

Her bigness also means I get to feel her a lot more which is (mostly) very cool. I love that everyone else can feel her so easily, and that she responds so well to Steve's voice, especially when he talks/reads right to her. However, she tends to push out against my stomach sometimes like she is about to escape through my belly button or something, and I don't dig that so much. I usually push back at her a little until she settles down!

4. Eight Weeks Left...
Or so. Our due date is 8 weeks from today. I can't believe all the things I want to get done in the next couple of months, the biggest of which is our move to Encinitas! Yikes! I'm going to be super big by the time our move-out date comes, so I'm trying to find time (and boxes) to pack now while I can still bend just a little. But really I'm just so excited for all the things coming in these next weeks--lots of Dr. appts (which I love because we hear her heartbeat and Steve is so cute about that), the move, baby shower stuff, and finally getting to set up our little bun's room. Plus all the fun in between. And probably more naps.

5. Thankful
We're just thankful. For you guys and your sweet excitement about our little bun. For our baby being healthy and this pregnancy being smooth so far. For each other, all the time. We are so, so blessed, and so, so thankful to God for all He has given us.


1 comment:

Designing Woman said...

LOVED that....thanks for the update!! (and for the apology for no pics :)

I am excited for my God-Baby's shower! YEAH!!!