Friday, July 25, 2008

Gracie Gracie Basketball and the Ice Birth Class


That's me yesterday, walking slowly to the car past my very reflective office building. I know its poor quality, but I was just so surprised by how much it looks like I'm hiding a basketball under my shirt that I had to snap a photo. What you see of my face looks perplexed/awed. So that's Gracie the basketball, who had a San Diego baby shower last week and who is so big now that she wiggles more than kicks. And she loves to live in my ribs.

Ice Birth Class

So a while ago I promised to tell you about practicing labor techniques with actual pain. Basically we've been learning these different breathing techniques and other pain management (visualization, focusing, and Steve giving me a backrub haha), but we always just pretend to have a contraction. So at one of our recent birth classes, the instructor, Kim, had us each hold a bag of ice in our hands and then breathe through the pain. It might not sound like it would hurt, but I challenge you to hold it still in your hand for one minute and still feel comfortable at the end. Then she made the husbands do it, too, and Steve was a very good sport about it. He's going to be fantastic when I'm in labor.

Speaking of, I'm pretty scared. It's getting close. I've at least been dreaming of cute Gracie being all born and cuddlable, and that does make it seem more worth it. But still scary.

The Biggest To Do List Since Our Wedding


When Steve and I were engaged I made this ginormous list of all the things that had to get done, from wedding favors to name changing and insurance and beyond. While the pre-Gracie list isn't quite so horrendously huge, it is definitely the biggest To-Do list I've made since our wedding, and I realize that I don't even have a guaranteed 6 weeks to finish it. Steve thinks Grace will come early because "she's so big and [I'm] so small." I think this may be true.

So I'm settling in trying to decide what NEEDS to get done--basically packing for our move in August, and getting Gracie's room ready. I guess the rest of it can wait, but I sure would like to get everything else done, too. I'm definitely hearing the clock ticking now. Exciting! But so much to do!

Dr. Appt

Our latest Dr. appt went well--everything looks normal, baby's heart beat is good, my weight gain is good/normal, my tummy is huge, and luckily we didn't have forty billion questions for the doctor this time. : )

Coming up next? Baby shower recap!

4 comments:

Nina said...

So labor is not bad. Sure, it's painful, but honestly, you will feel a very real sense of self -- meaning, you will have this overwhelming feeling that you really can do it and will do it. It's hard to explain, but trust me, your body will know what to do and your mind will understand that. So yeah, I probably make no sense...

Tiffany said...

I completely agree with Nina. It is a small span of time that in the end there will be a beautiful baby girl that you and Steve have brought into the world. There is nothing to explain the sensation and emotions that you and Steve will experience. I cannot wait for you guys!

PS.. Here is my guess on the arrival of your little one: August 29, 2008 @ 3:00 pm. 6 lbs 12 ounces.

Steve and Jenna said...

Jamie, this is Steve Hull, and once again you and I have a similar experience .... the ice pain has been a common one for me .... Ice baths from the waist down.

The good news is, the second dip is not hard. Wouldn't do much for the first baby, but if you can knock one out an hour or two after the first, shouldn't be as bad.

Just my non-professional opinion.

Unknown said...

Ok, so labor/delivery was the best part of my ENTIRE pregnant experience. The epidural wasnt anything like I thought it would be and my recovery has been great. I still felt a LOT during the delivery...but it was such an awesome experience. I cant wait to read about how everything goes for you guys! It really is the most amazing moment when you see your baby! I still cant believe Im a mom. And I cant WAIT to see your adorable Gracie. Shes going to be the cutest! My only thing i wish someone had told me - was that nursing is HARD! Get a book and read up now on what to do!! I wish I had. And Take a nursing bra with you to the hospital!!!! After the first night you will be so sore and its no fun to be loosey goosey under the gross hospital gown!!!