Thursday, April 3, 2008

Five on Thursday: Ch-Ch-Changes Edition

Hey! I'm still here! Thank goodness Steve has stepped up to the plate these last couple weeks so our faithful readers wouldn't tire of a sadly empty blog. We've actually had a lot going on, and a lot of changes, so I'm hoping this will be another action-packed thrilling post.

Hold on to your bums.

...I would say "Hold on to your butts," which is the actual movie quote I am referring to, but now that the baby can officially hear, Steve and I are suddenly realizing there are some words we don't want to become our baby's first words. Like butt. Or crackhead. Haha.

(Sidenote: I'm counting this as a make-up for the Five on Fridays I've missed, so please mark that in your grade books, k? Steve?)

So... on to the five things!!!

1. So how many weeks are we, anyway?
At our first prenatal visit, Betty changed our due date from September 10 to September 14, pushing us back a whole week. Well, at our last ultrasound our little bun measured about a week bigger than they expected. So this at week's Dr. appt (on 4/1, soon-to-be-Uncle Tyler's birthday!), my latest doctor (you seriously see like every OB in the office at UCSD) rescheduled our due date to

September 7, 2008!!!

Which also puts us at 17 weeks instead of the 16 we thought we were at--its like getting a whole week free!

2. Stop yelling at Grandpas.
According to the handy tome What to Expect When You're Expecting, our baby can now officially hear us. How cool is that? I told Steve its because it has ossicles, and he laughed at me--but ossicles are real (and no laughing matter)! See??? (Thanks wikipedia.)



What does that have to do with Grandpas? Well, though usually very friendly, Steve does tend to get a little riled when driving, and last week was calling some slow driver a grandpa in a not-so-loving tone. We don't want our baby to be afraid of grandpas, so Steve is under orders to start making his driving rants an inner monologue. And again, we're cutting words like "butt" out of our vocabulary... which is humbling.

3. Who are you?
You may have noticed that the days left to vote in the baby poll are suddenly down to single digits--thats because we scheduled our anatomy scan for next Tuesday at 4pm! Woo hoo! In only a few days we will find out if teeny baby is a girl or a boy. So cast your vote now if you want to have a say!

(By the way, I'm very disappointed in whomever voted 'I am no fun and withhold judgement.' If you're reading our blog, you have to be fun. Its in the rules.)

4. Growing "baby bump"!
Ladies and gentlemen, please note the difference between week 16 (top) and week 17 (bottom). These were taken a week apart! Can you believe how much the baby has grown? (Also, isn't my haircut cute? hehe)


This is also the reason we finally anted up and got me some maternity clothes. I'm definitely pushing it in my non-pregnant clothes now, so its time to get creative.

5. Test results
Pregnancy is pretty much all about me getting my blood drawn. After every appointment they seem to send me downstairs to the lab to get one, maybe two, sometimes three needles stuck in me. This week it was another blood test, and a TB test. Did you know if you haven't had a TB test before you go into labor, they won't let you hold your baby?!?!

So, results of the big test we had last month are back, and we are at the lowest possible risk for downs syndrome, so that's nice to hear. Had it been higher, we would have started preparing, because that would be a whole different type of parenting. Also, you will all be happy to know that I don't have TB! Also neat!

I had some other things to write, but what with pregnancy brain being real and all, I've now forgotten. :-/ Happy Thursday!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your little belly is so adorable!!! And so is your haircut! (be wary of pregnancy brain talking you into changing your hair on a monthly basis...I happen to be blonde right now!)

And Im a little ticked that you got a week for free. I swear you are going to give birth before me, while my baby takes its sweet little time zapping the life out of me!

And here is a warning about whats to come: KILLER HEARTBURN... stock up now, before the fire is too great. Ive never had it in my life, and now I sleep sitting up clutching a bottle of tums. Oh the joys :)

AMD said...

I was the no fun one...in rebellion for your April Fool's Day post. : p And it was just too tempting to resist. : D

WilliamsFamily said...

Jamie, you are so cute!! We are so excited for you. Enjoy the second tri. xo Aunt Kelly

AMD said...

In the interest of not being shunned from the Walton family, and because Jamie makes a really cute pregnant lady, I changed my vote.